OrCAD Capture and PSpice
- Download some of the books'
simulations examples in PSpice_CMOSedu.zip
(schematics drafted using Version 16.6).
- PSpice uses Level=7 for BSIM3 and Level=8 for BSIM4
- Help using the PSpice
simulation examples from CMOSedu.com is found here.
- Unfortunately, the PSpice implementation of the
BSIM4 MOSFET model used in many
of the books' examples is inaccurate and the simulations often don't converge.
- Below is a comparison, Fig. 6.19, between
Cadence’s Spectre (left or top image) and Cadence’s PSpice (right or bottom
image). Click images to enlarge.
- Cadence's Spectre, Synopsys' HSPICE, LTC's LTspice (free and
without limitations), Mentor's Eldo, Silvaco's SmartSpice,
and WinSpice all generate the same simulation output.
- The BSIM4 MOSFET model, and many other models
(e.g., RC transmission lines), aren’t available in the Lite
(free) version of PSpice.
- Finally, the built-in convergence aids in PSpice are not as mature, transparent, or effective as they
are in other simulators.
- This is actually a big deal unless your models are old
and circuits are small.
CMOS Circuit Design, Layout, and
CMOS Mixed-Signal Circuit Design